Monday, January 25, 2010

We finally have an answer!!!

I had to take my dog, Angel, to Dr. K today for her monthly cbc, and when she called me this past Friday to let me know that all of the test results were back she said that everything was negative.  She asked me to allow the boys to tag along with us today because she wanted to see how they are doing, and wanted me to try and get another poo sample from Radar for retesting, since his poop hasn't yet returned to 100% normal.

About 20 minutes before we left for the vet Radar went poo, and I grabbed it.  Poor boy, he gets so confused when I do that!  He knows that he pooped, but when he turns around to cover it it's gone!  Sorry, I just can't help to wonder what he must think when his poop disappears right out from under him like that.  The look on his face when he discovers his poo missing is priceless!  LOL!

Anyway, we got to the vet and first saw Dr. I, she's Dr. K's partner in the practice.  Dr. I took Angel's history and such, read through what our previous vet sent them (which was missing ALL of the important info about why Angel is on pred and has a monthly cbc!) and then she took Angel to draw her blood sample. 

Then Dr. K came into the room to see TK and Radar, and she's amazed at just how well they're doing, TK has a nice fat tummy, both boys have shiny coats, and they're active, playing well, eating and drinking well, and both are acting fine.  TK's poo has returned to normal, but Radar still has a bit loose poo, but far from what it was!

I gave Radar's donated poo to Dr. K so she could run tests again, and can you guess what they found???

Giardia cysts!!!

Yes, my boys have giardia!  Why on earth my "other" vet didn't find this, I don't know.  Perhaps the boys weren't shedding giardia at any of the multiple times they ran fecal tests on them, or perhaps the tech doesn't read fecal checks well...........either way at least now we have an answer, and a treatment plan to get them back on track.  They'll both be on metronidazole for 10 days.  And, if once they stop this med should the diarrhea return, we'll just have to treat them for a longer period of time or try a different medicine.  It's so good to know what we're treating.............all the way home I kept thanking Radar for his donation!  Without it we wouldn't have this knowledge.

Oh, and today TK weighed in at 5.8 pounds and Radar is 4 pounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment